Monday, October 15, 2012

Meatless Monday: Warm beet salad





This is the result of the first time I ever grew beets. I was super-excited!


They came out so well, and I was so pleased. I really wasn't sure what to expect as for some reason they just seemed like they'd be difficult. Perhaps it was because of that one time I tried to grow carrots. And they never grew. Ever.

Anyway, this is one of the simplest and most delicious ways of eating fresh beetroot. I do miss the vinegary tang of canned beets when I eat fresh ones, so usually end up putting a vinaigrette on them.

This is done solely in one baking tray, which is another favourite way of mine to cook - less mess!

Ingredients:
fresh beets
fresh beet greens
olive oil
salt
balsamic vinegar
pinch sugar
pepper
wholegrain mustard

Directions:

1. lightly peel the beets, chop into even-sized pieces and place on an oiled baking tray. Roll them around so they're covered in oil, then sprinkle salt over.

2. Bake at about 200C for 20 minutes or so (depending on how small you made them) until tender.

3. Take out of the oven and pour over balsamic, a bit more olive oil, a pinch of sugar, pepper and a dollop of wholegrain mustard - all to your taste.

4. Add the greens and stir to let the residual heat wilt them.

5. Serve.

Easy as pie and probably more delicious too!




Linky Bitz
♥ The linky will be up every Monday morning, and will stay up until the following Sunday. It doesn't matter if you eat your meal on a day other than Monday - it's just an easy day to create the link.
♥ Grab the Meatless Monday button above and put it in your post, and even on your sidebar if you're feeling generous!
♥ Visit at least one other blogger and leave some love. This is so much more cool if we're in it together!






16 comments:

  1. Yum that looks great! Would love to grow some veggies but they're a bit scary so I'm sticking with herbs for now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you know when to harvest? I've been looking at ours for the last week, thinking "maybe..." I might just pull up one and see how it looks. And when I do, I'll be making this....YUM

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I have never had a fresh beet? I might just have to buy some and give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyrstie @ A Fresh LegacyOctober 15, 2012 at 7:57 PM

    Great work on the beetroots! They are so sweet and lovely when home grown. Your weather has you harvesting way before mine will be ready but I am looking forward to this years crop. The beetroot relish is almost out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a thrill growing your own beets!! Your photos are outstanding and I want to eat those beets right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done you! Oh how I love beet greens - the flavour is soo earthy. Sorry I didn't get my shit together to post a meatless monday this week, but got a good one for next week :) Hope all is well at basecamp veggie mama! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love roasted beetroot and home grown is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No idea! I think it was just that they'd been in there for ages. I also did a little check of one, I'm pretty sure x

    ReplyDelete
  9. i didn't have one until recently either. Pickled is better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So far so good! I love beet greens too, I need to plant some more x

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha have you seen any of my gardening posts? I'm a complete noob, but still manage to grow veggies despite not knowing anything at all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, I love beetroot and so does my two year old. Have pinned this for later this week, thanks. x Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you like it! I love beets, and I love easy recipes haha x

    ReplyDelete