Monday, November 5, 2012

Meatless Monday for the kids! Guest post - broccoli bites



So Caitlin from Mother Down Under is stupidly cute, has an even cuter toddler and blogs about being so far from home, raising a family with her Aussie dude. When she's not doing that she's hanging out with me. THIS IS GOOD. As are her broccoli bites for babes... they're making me hungry.



I found a recipe similar to this on Pinterest...and while I am not a huge fan of trying to hide vegetables, if I don't disguise them, Toddler C doesn't eat them...enter the broccoli ball.


Full disclosure, he did eat these but only when smeared with a generous slather of olive tapenade.  
I know...the boy doesn't eat mashed potato but he loves olive tapanade.
Whatever works.

These are basically meat balls but instead of meat you use broccoli!


I used about two heads of fresh broccoli, chopped it and steamed it in my microwave.
Then I added 1 and 1/2 cups of grated cheese, 1 cup of breadcrumbs, 3 eggs and some dried oregano.




I mixed everything together.



Then I formed small balls, lay them on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper and cooked them in a 180C oven for 15 minutes, then turned the broccoli balls and baked them for another 10 minutes.





Let them cool, see if your child will accept them plain but if not, over them with their favourite spread and enjoy!

25 comments:

  1. I make something similar, it's also good with spinach. I think offering vegetables as vegetables is important but the odd insurance policy doesn't hurt ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to make these for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's romanesco city here at the moment, grateful for another recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I have a heap of broccoli in the fridge. Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the same. I offer the veg and if she doesn't eat it, then these sorts of things help! I'll keep plugging along with the veggie offerings... we'll get there one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just ate all mine! Gotta get some more so I can actually make these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not usually one to hide the veg, but every now and then my 2.5 year old will just look at his food and decide he doesn't like it. So then mummy has to get creative for a few meals. These look yum! Gonna try them for sure! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Broccoli is pretty much my favourite thing ever, to find another way to eat it is a win for me. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caitlin, your broccoli bites look delish! I have to say it would take more than this to convince the preschooler but I think the lady would go nuts for them....(the preschooler will also not eat mashed potato. I am yet to try him on olive tapanade ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the lovely introduction Veggie Mama!


    And this post reminds me I haven't made these in a while...I have been into the green smoothies lately but I will have to give these another whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! Am definitely going to give it a go. Sorry I can't play along this week for MM but have a grrreat recipe for next week! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a great idea!!! Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. They sound delicious! One of my kids will eat broccoli, still working on the other 2! Might have to give these a go, thanks ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Agree! I think I'm going to have to grow some more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's just one of those veggies, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea!

    Will definitely give these a try.

    On another note, my three year old is a huge olive lover.. bet he would devour these with some olive tepenade!

    ReplyDelete

  17. Thank you for sharing this informative blog with us. Your blog is very useful for us. In Australia, CDR (Competency Demonstration Report) writing services play a pivotal role in assisting professionals seeking recognition for their skills and qualifications, particularly in the context of migration and employment. These services are designed to cater to the unique requirements set by Engineers Australia, the assessing authority for engineering occupations in the country. cdr writing services in Australia offer comprehensive support to engineers aiming to showcase their competencies, achievements, and engineering projects in a manner that aligns with the standards set by the assessing body.

    ReplyDelete