Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Baked spinach and feta penne


Oh boy, is this a whole lot of reward for very little work!

Just what I'm all about these days. Life is biz-zay.

Anyhow, I mixed some al-dente cooked baby penne (the big ones freak me out) with a box of thawed and drained frozen spinach, a block of danish feta, 150ml cream, salt, pepper, a dash of grated nutmeg and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. I then topped it with grated cheese and baked it in a 180C oven for 20 or so minutes while I fed the baby and put her to bed. I browned the top under the grill. Amen.

I ate it the next day for lunch too, and although it wasn't as creamy, it was still awesome. The only problem was I had to eat it with a wooden coffee stirrer stick because I forgot a fork, and you have to pay for the plastic ones at the uni cafeteria. That sucks the big one. I soon got the hang of spearing it and getting it to my mouth without incident... in fact, I only dropped one piece in my lap, and even almost managed to hide it from my lunch acquaintance. Classy.

I'm teased constantly by my husband for being a gumby while eating. I have the best table manners of anyone I know, I eat tiny bites with even tinier cutlery, and I STILL manage to spill at least something.


Tell me - am I normal? Do you spill stuff too? I don't mean to! Argh!

7 comments:

  1. drooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooling.

    I always manage to find crumbs in my cleavage... I feel sorry for boys who don't have that storage option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO trying this, spinach and feta are two of my all time faves. 

    And no, I don't spill a thing. I'm a lady. Yeh ok, maybe I am a tad messy. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I was having a "what's for dinner" moment and now it's solved. I'm a pretty clean eater, but the Darlings are just awful about spilling their food. But then again, they are 6 and 7! Wear a bib. No one would think your odd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hilarious, as in every other aspect of my life I'm very ladylike (except my occasional sailor's mouth), and I am OBSESSED with table etiquette. Yet cannot ever conquer my innate clumsiness. Gah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Veggie Baby has the cutest bibs, I should sew some together to make a giant mum one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this yummy and easy recipe! I am constantly looking for dinner inspiration.

    ReplyDelete