Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Little Lemon Squares

Oh so lemony and shortbready!


Given that I'm not a huge fan of sweets, but obsessed with baking, it's a marriage made in heaven when I find a recipe I not only want to bake, but eat as well.

Enter the shortbready, sweet-tart lemony goodness of these squares. Yum!

Ingredients

  • 125 grams softened butter

  • 1/4 cup confectioners (icing) sugar, plus more for dusting

  • 1 cup flour

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten

  • 1 cup granulated sugar

  • 2 1/2 tablespoons flour

  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice

  • 1 tablespoon lemon zest


  • Method

    1. Preheat oven to 200ÂșC . 

    2. Butter an 8-inch square pan. I of course used baking paper...

    3. Combine butter, confectioners sugar, 1 cup flour and salt and press into the bottom of the prepared pan, making a crust. I of course screwed this up and accidentally used regular white sugar... worked fine.

    4. Combine eggs, granulated sugar, 2 1/2 tablespoons flour, lemon juice and lemon zest and beat until light in colour. I used the juice of a whole lemon, but after tasting it, I would have used more. But I'm the kid that thoroughly enjoyed sucking on a lemon slice as a baby when my mom gave it to me to watch my hilarious reaction to its sourness. One lemon is probably enough for the uninitiated!

    5. Pour over crust and bake for 25 - 30 minutes. Let cool until cool to the touch and dust top with confectioners sugar - cut into uniform squares.


    Original recipe from www.rachaelray.com here

    1 comment: