Welcome to Meatless Monday, Meatless Mondayers!
Today is an oldie but a goodie - one of the first dishes I ever veganised, and one of the most successful. Particularly for people who are giving up meat but still like it - not all vegetarians think meat is gross-tasting, so are happy to eat mock products. Over time I've trained myself to dislike the idea of eating meat, and now almost gag at the thought, even though I was a committed carnivore for 26 years. Nowadays, cow's milk will make my stomach churn violently (even writing that makes me grimace, UGH!) and I regret eating eggs pretty much straight after the first bite. Who knows where I'll end up in another five years?
While soy cheese leaves much to be desired, vegan margarine and some soy and rice milk are surprisingly good. I'm extremely partial to Nuttelex margarine and a die-hard Vitasoy Soy Milky fan... both extremely similar to the real thing without all the goobies in it. It's only a matter of time til someone comes up with an excellent dairy-free alternative to everything.
For now, make a foray into veganness if you haven't already with an old favourite :)
1 onion, cut into strips
vegan sausages (I used 6)
1 tablespoon flour
1-2 cups veggie stock or vegan "beef" stock
a dash each of soy sauce and tomato ketchup... maybe even a little vegan red wine.
four big, floury potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
salt and pepper
1. Put potatoes on to boil, and heat a little oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions to frying pan.
2. Saute onions until soft, then remove to a plate. Heat a little more oil and fry sausages until done to your liking. Remove.
3. Put onions back in frying pan and add flour. Stir for a minute, cooking over medium heat. Add stock and sauces and stir fairly vigorously until it is combined and there are no lumps. Heat until thickened a little and put sausages back in the pan.
4. Drain potatoes and put back on a low heat, moving them to one side. Add soy milk and heat until bubbling.
5. Take off heat, add Nuttelex and mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve mash with hot sausages and onion gravy over the top.
♥ The linky will be up at 9am every Monday morning, and will stay up until the following Sunday.
♥ Grab the Meatless Monday button and put it in your post, and even on your sidebar if you're feeling generous.
♥ Visit at least one other blogger and leave some love. This is so much more cool if we're in it together!
Where it says "Name", you might like to add the name of your dish instead or as well.
And remember - you don't have to link up only on a Monday, or have your meatless meals only on a Monday - link up your anytime meatless meal all week!