Sunday, November 11, 2012

Guest Post: Lime Curd Donuts



Please welcome Clare! She has made us delicious donuts! She is a (relatively) newbie blogger over at The Life of Clare, sharing her food adventures. Look how awesome she is already!







I've been sharing lime recipes on my blog.  We have an over abundant lime tree and I've been thinking of any possible way that I can use them.  Not too long ago I made this lime curd (http://thelifeofclare.com.au/zesty/) and then discovered a doughnut recipe in a cookbook I had a home.

The batter/dough for the doughnuts was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever made. So much kneading involved to create the perfect texture.  It was a long process, as thesedoughnuts need to rest over night.

But they were absolutely delicious! I was so super proud of myself when they were done, that I took them up to Mum and Dad's building site and shared them around with all the workers.

Ingredients: 

185ml of lukewarm milk
1 tablespoon of dried yeast
2 tablespoons of caster sugar
310g plain flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of finely treated lemon zest
2 eggs separated
40g unsealed butter
105g jam (I used lime curd)
Oil for deep frying
Caster sugar, extra, for rolling the doughnuts in

Method:

Put the milk in a small bowl, add yeast and 1 tablespoon of sugar.  Leave in a warm, draught-free place for 10 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface. The mixture should be frothy and slightly increased in volume.
Sift the flour into a large bowl bowl and add the cinnamon, lemon zest, egg yolks, yeast mixture, remaining sugar, and pinch of salt. Mix well, then place dough on a lightly floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes. 
Work in the butter, a little at a time, continually kneading the dough until it becomes elastic (this bit was soooo much fun).  This should take about 10 minutes.  Place in a large bowl and cover with clean damp tea towel. Place in fridge over night to rise (mine didn't rise very much but it was okay).
Place dough on lightly floured bench and roll out to 3mm thick. Using a 6cm cutter, cut 28 rounds from the dough. Place 14 of the rounds on a lightly floured tray and carefully place 1/2 teaspoons of the filling onto the center of each. 
Lightly beat the egg whites, then brush it around the edges of each, be careful not to touch the filling as it makes it really hard to seal them later!
Top with remaining 14 rounds and press down firmly, to seal the edges.
Cover with a clean teatowel for 30 mins.
Make sure the dough has not separated at the edges, press any open edges firmly together.
Fill a deep fryer or large heavy based saucepan 1/3 with frying oil and heat to 170 degrees. Cook the doughnuts in batches until browned on the outside and puffy. Drain, roll in extra sugar and serve immediately.

They were absolutely delicious. Enjoyed by all at the building site.  I think I ate about 5.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me! These were so delicious, I might have to make them again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great Clare - nice work! I haven't tried making doughnuts before, weird because I love them. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete