Back in the day, I loved myself a bit of Apricot Chicken. Not with the big chunks of apricot, but a bastardised version of chicken bits, maybe some onions, a packet of French Onion Soup mix and a can of apricot nectar.
Sometimes I branched out and got a packet mix and added the required things to it, but to be honest, I couldn't tell the difference.
Nowadays I miss sauces like this one, and diane sauce and things, but I just invent new ways of eating them instead of on chicken or steak. I would normally have done this dish with a chicken substitute, but in the interests of broadening my tofu horizons to see if I like it and could eat it more regularly, I gave this one a whirl.
And I LIKED IT.
I did, I did! I normally like tofu bits if they're crumbed/breaded so they're a bit crispy and not just some wobbly white thing in my food. I'm getting there... slowly.
Serves 2-3 (but feel free to double or triple, it's very easy)
1 block firm tofu
1 onion, sliced thinly
1 egg, beaten
1 400ml can apricot nectar
1 packet French Onion Soup mix
1. Mix the apricot nectar and French Onion Soup mix.
2. Chop tofu into cubes or strips and marinate an hour or so in the apricot soup mix.
3. Dip the cubes first into egg, then into breadcrumbs and set aside.
4. Fry the onion in a little oil until soft.
5. You can either fry the tofu alongside the onion, or bake in the oven.
6. To the onion (take the tofu out if you've cooked it alongside), add the apricot soup mix and bring to a boil. When the sauce is slightly thickened (you might want to use a little cornflour if you like it thicker), it is ready.
7. On some rice, place a good helping of crispy tofu. Pour over the sauce and serve with some steamed veg.
Linky Bitz♥ The linky will be up every Monday morning, and will stay up until the following Sunday. It doesn't matter if you eat your meal on a day other than Monday - it's just an easy day to create the link.
♥ Grab the Meatless Monday button above and put it in your post, and even on your sidebar if you're feeling generous!
♥ Visit at least one other blogger and leave some love. This is so much more cool if we're in it together!