Wednesday, June 6, 2012

So you wanna paint a quote mural on your wall?

This is fun, right?!!

Ever since I saw Punky Brewster as a kid, I've always wanted to paint a bedroom wall. Given I'm not artistically blessed and can barely draw to save myself, I don't do too badly with lettering. Result? Quote, of course!

I chose this one by Dr Seuss because I think Oh! The Places You'll Go! is one of the best books ever written - its so insightful and true in the rhymiest, most whimsical way. I heart it so bad. Wonderful words to live by.

So what I did was looked up the free Dr Soos font and typed out my quote.

Then I wrote my quote on a piece of paper, even though I knew it by heart. I looked at the typed font and how I could somehow replicate it in larger form.

I then ruled four very faint, and hopefully straight lines on my wall. I didn't have a ruler, so used a box lid. I like that the font itself is wonky, so it gives you a little wiggle room if you're not steady-handed and don't write in straight lines.


Then I lightly traced the letters along the lines, spacing them a fair way apart so I could go round them. I wrote the second and fourth line backwards from the end so they'd line up evenly.


Then I drew around the letters in a loose copy of the Dr Soos font. Loose. I'm not great.


These are the paintbrushes and paint I used. Gloss acrylic has meant the end result looks like decals. I found the smaller brushes were better, as they got fatter as we went on.


I went over the letters twice, to get block colour. I randomly chose words to be blue.

Look how tired I am!


And look how tired she is! She slept for the first two and a half hours at my feet. Woke up to a cool new wall.

Anyway, I'm no expert but if you have any questions, fire away!

44 comments:

  1. So freakin' adorable. I love that book too & bought it for my boyfriend when he graduated uni (2.5 weeks & I can say husband!). I assume we'll pass the book on to our kids. The beauty of this quote as opposed to a wall colour or image, is that she'll never outgrow it! Good job mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaw love that line and love that book, great choice x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicholette LeszinskyJune 6, 2012 at 12:17 PM

    That looks great !  And I heart that book too, its awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool.
    I agree it is one of the best books ever. I like giving it as a just because gift to people who need a little encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you know what I read somewhere? To get a copy and then get every teacher of your child's to write something in it every time they finish a grade. How cool is that idea?! YOU'RE GONNA BE A WIIIIFFEEEEEE!

    PS email me your address, I have something for you xx

    Oh PPS you'll have to give me your HUSBAND'S first initital xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I was quite pleased with how it turned out xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so inspiring, isn't it? without being saccharine. I think that's the awesomest thing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My all-time fave Dr Seuss book. Awesome wall....looks fab....great job!
    x
    And P.S. How sweet is your little Miss asleep....CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha thank you, I'm a bit partial to her myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is such a super cute idea! I wish my little one had her own room to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!!!!!! i thought that was a decal until i read the post! you're so good! i'm a terrible painter. so so messy! come do my bedroom next?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simone - HoneyandfizzJune 6, 2012 at 2:42 PM

    Looks amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha thank you. can't believe I've been thinking of it for 25 years!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh what a lovely touch to your daughters room! I'm working on a project with some Dr. Seuss words too atm, he has such a wonderful way of putting things and making you remember them :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a superb idea, and it came out so well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes! I think its the rhyming. love that wise old man.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was a bit worried at first, but it ended up quite ok! thank you so much xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is awesome! My sister read this poem at our wedding. If we owned our house I would totally do this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks so epically good, I can barely even process it! O_<

    ReplyDelete
  20. so adorable! it turned out awesome! i love that quote too...dr. seuss knows all the answers:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Is there anything you can't do?!

    'Oh the places you will go' is one of my favourite Seuss books too (that and 'The Diggenest Dog'!). 

    ReplyDelete
  22. that looks bloody ace. but i'm in a rental so can't stalk/copy this idea. will make your lentil curry instead (evil laughter) ;)sarah

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this Dr Suess quote and it looks just fabulous on your wall!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is fantastic!  You really made me feel like I could actually have a chance of doing this (Which is saying a lot becaus I am not craft/artistically confident!).  Im totally pinning this and might just give it a try in our little Bird's room. :)  thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. http://goo.gl/51efU

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love, love LOVE this!!!! I've just pinned it (with link and credit of course) on Pinterest. You did an amazing job.  I've been looking for some positive quotes for my boys rooms to print and frame and this is the top of my list.xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is so great! 

    We love that book! Our surname is Bray - which is on the back page... Which makes US and the book totally cool.

    Love love love this!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice work! Love the quote you picked. Your girl is such a sweetie, sleeping at your feet like that. We share a similar sleeping position too hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh dear god, I would have cried my eyes out!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Every single day I look at it and notice nothing but its crookedness. It drives me MAD.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a wise ole man! I hope I'm an eighth as cool as he is one day.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yes, I suck at musical instruments! Complete gumby. Also cannot dance. I bet Seuss was never as clumsy as me :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Next best thing! Actually, I spent ages cutting letters out of coloured paper once, and made a mural that way... you could try it if you're ever EPICALLY BORED haha

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are terribly kind, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Is this going to send me to a picture of spam or something?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ahh Pinterest - thank you for doing it properly! reminds me I really need to write a post about that. Make sure you show me your wall if you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Haha same! Although the baby belly usually gets in the way these days. She's such a cutie pie, I sort of kept wanting her to wake up :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. A great content material as well as great layout. Your website deserves all of the positive feedback it’s been getting. I will be back soon for further quality contents. Painters in Dubai

    ReplyDelete