Perfect for a tea party!
Or a Tea and Wii party!
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 large eggs
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature and cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1. In a bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water, whisk together the eggs, sugar and lemon juice until blended. cook, whisking constantly until the mixture becomes pale and quite thick, about 10 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and whisk the butter pieces in until melted.
3. Add lemon zest and cool.
Preheat oven to 200C.
1. In a bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Gradually add the beaten egg, until just incorporated.
3. Add flour and salt and mix just until it forms a ball. Don't overwork or the pastry will be hard.
4. Flatten into a disc, cover and refrigerate 30 minutes until firm.
5. Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface until about 3mm thick (mine was way thicker... was in a hurry! but worked really well with the amount of lemon curd). Keep lifting and turning to prevent sticking, or roll out on greaseproof/waxed paper.
6. Cut with a pastry cutter to whatever size your muffin pan is, and gently place in the holes.
7. Bake the pastry cases for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned. Cool.
8. Fill with lemon curd.
9. Wipe your hands before touching the Wii remote.
Recipe adapted from Joy of Baking.