Fondue gets me excited - I mean, I really love melted cheese that I can dip things in and overload on.
Which is why real fondue makes me cry. It's too kirschy and not anywhere near creamy enough for me. Or small children, for that matter.
So, for board game nights or Sunday evening dinners, there's nothing better than a pot of creamy cheese sauce and crusty bread. in my house, anyway.
It's basically a cheese sauce that you would make an au gratin from... over-cheesed into creamy fondue. Yay!
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup milk
2 cups swiss cheese
2 cups gruyere cheese
1/2 tsp mustard
salt to taste
1. Melt butter in a pan over medium heat
2. Add flour and cook 1 minute. This helps get rid of the raw flour taste.
3. Add milk and whisk vigorously for a bit... you don't want any lumps!
4. Bring to a boil, stirring often.
5. When thick and bubbling, add cheese a cup at a time, waiting until it's fully melted to add more.
6. Add mustard powder and salt at any time.
7. You could also drop in a dab of garlic.... yum!
I serve mine with cheese, blanched veggies, gherkins and those little cocktail onions.