Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Kid food: Dinner


I don't always want to eat dinner at 6pm when the small girl is having hers, so often I make her a little something and we have our dinner later on. If it's just the two of us, I'll make enough for me too. It's fun sitting at her little table, watching her diligently try to get fork to mouth. 


Turkish bread pizzas with tomato paste and finely chopped mushroom, tomato, capsicum, onion and cheese is usually a hit.


This night she had dinner with us on Taco Night. She doesn't like chunks of veggies, so I chopped the tomato very finely and added to the beans, salsa and cheese and microwaved it. Served with a taco broken up for dipping. 

The wonderful Nicole at Designer Mamas sent me this incredibly awesome Giggle Australia silicone bowl + spoon set (came with cups too!) to try out. I cannot get enough of it - it is just the right size for Abby and YOU CAN BAKE STRAIGHT IN THE BOWL.

*hyperventilates*

They are totally oven-proof as well as being dishwasher, freezer and microwave proof. They're flexible, they're BPA-free, they don't chip or break and are pretty much indestructible.

The oven, people. 

Puddings, pies, cakes, oh my!


I'm branching out with the chicken substitutes as far as Abby's concerned - I tend to just stick to veggies, pasta, noodles and that sort of thing as I sort of get a bit wigged out when I think of giving her processed stuff. But she loves these Quorn Dippers and they're a bit fun on occasion. I think they're the best nugget alternative EVER.

Sweet potato + carrot mash with peas and corn on the side.


Veggie mash is always on the menu. This is pumpkin, carrot and corn.


Again with the sausages, but I think even I was getting bored with plain veggies. These are rosemary, sage and parsley gourmet vegie sausages from Sanitarium. Probably the best of the veggie sausages I've tried.

Ok, I've just realised this is a very meat-alternative plus mashed veggie post. Oh well, it's what she was eating lately! And I did say I was branching out from plain veg! More variety in the next dinner post, I promise. 


Oh, and today I'm over at iVillage talking about my ridiculous hangup about never being able to accept help when I need it. Sound familiar?!






6 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh - you just gave me an awesome idea! I have lots of silicon baking stuff like individual cupcake wrappers that I never use. Can now repurpose as individual serving containers that don't break. So excited!! Am off to the Designer Mama website to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I've used them as moulds before for polenta and things, but it's such a good idea to bake in them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Quorn dippers are a great to have on stand by in the freezer! I like Quorn veggie mince too, have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah @ Chantille FleurSeptember 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM

    I love the way you write! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. That, my dear, is the best compliment of all xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep! Quorn is my favourite. I'm never without one of their products in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete