Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Queen's favourite sandwiches for a Jubilee celebration!




I like the Queen a little bit. I like the Royal family and the history and the tradition and the beautiful castles and pomp and ceremony. It's a bit fairy-tale and fun.

I've read biographies here and there about various members, and am part-way through Jonathan Dimbleby's epic one of Prince Charles. I like watching documentaries and castle tours and seeing old-fashioned pictures. But for some reason, I really like knowing what they eat!

Did you know the Queen likes Special K for breakfast? Or a boiled egg? Imagine how elegantly that humble old boiled egg would be served in the mornings. One day when I'm organised, I'm going to eat way more fashionably at that hour.

Anyhow, I know she likes jam sandwiches in rounds like these ones, called jam pennies. She loves a Darjeeling tea and a gin and Dubonnet before bed. I think we'd get along quite well!

I'm going to try and watch as much of the Diamond Jubilee this weekend as I can - how often do we really get to see fancy parades and cavalry and proper jewels and crowns? And I'm probably going to be eating these little pennies with raspberry jam in them while I'm doing so.

I do so love a party!

16 comments:

  1. Jam pennies are seriously the cutest things ever. I think all sandwiches should be eating like that!
    I love a bit of Royal Family fanfare too and will definitely be tuning in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't eaten a jam sandwich in years, but now I really really want one... 

    ReplyDelete
  3. You would be scandalized if you knew how many of these I ate this morning...

    ReplyDelete
  4. sar: accidentallentilJune 2, 2012 at 7:19 PM

    this post has brought to my attention the fact that i have not eaten jam in too many months. this must be rectified. and what an excuse to do it! yeh!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A girlfriend made some rhubarb and apple jam, which she gave me a jar of and I can see I'll be having this for morning tea tomorrow. (Or maybe tomorrow evening as I'm watching the pomp and ceremony?) Love the china!

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a little bit fond of the Queen too. And jam pennies. And jubilee celebrations. ;)
    ~S.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love you cup and saucer set! I think I will make some jam pennies for my daughter's lunch as a treat, they are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are the cutest little pennies.  Made more delicious by your lovely china.  I do love a good plate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think all sandwiches should be adorable shapes. I actually found it very difficult to find a plain round cutter! You won't believe what I used...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made some gorgeous strawberry jam a few weeks ago and got jammed out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a slight obsession with beautiful china! My husband bought me this set for Christmas one year. Love the sound of your jam, I made stewed apple and rhubarb recently and it was divine. Must turn it into a jam!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm fond of FUN! And this has it all xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. My daughter inhaled these! Just loved them. And I love my china, they are my absolute favourite set, these ones x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh boy, so do I! Had to rein in the buying unti the children grow up a bit, but I bust 'em out every chance I get xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't read the title properly, saw the photo and thought wow, they are some pretty intricate biscuits.. Then I read the post and realised, I still think they're pretty cool though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work. hochzeitsfotograf

    ReplyDelete