Ok so I lied... it's not so much frittata as it is omelet with stuff on top and not folded.... lazy frittata, if you will!
Very good for quick suppers with a salad and bread or potato of some type. Doesn't take long, you can put whatever you've got hanging around in the fridge on it, and it doesn't require turning on the oven. Win!!
As always, can be doubled, tripled, whatever... even cooked in the oven if you're so inclined! Just add 2 eggs per person.
2 tbs each olive oil and butter
1 onion, sliced fairly thin
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 cup sliced mushrooms or any other veggie you want to sneak in. I also used 1/4 cup semi-dried tomatoes
5 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup shredded tasty cheese
1/4 cup feta, crumbled
salt and pepper
1. Heat 1 tbsp each the oil and butter over medium-low heat.
2. Add onion and saute gently 10-15 minutes. Add sugar and balsamic vinegar about halfway through.
3. Remove from pan and heat the remaining oil and butter.
4. Turn heat to high and add mushrooms. Cook until caramelised and soft, about 5 minutes.
5. Add semi-dried tomatoes or any other veggie if using. Pour over eggs and tasty cheese. Season.
6. Turn heat down to medium and cook until mostly set - 6-7 minutes. You can pop under the grill/broiler here if you like. It isn't necessary.
7. Top with warm caramelised onion and scatter feta over the top. Some fresh herbs wouldn't go astray.