It shouldn't be news to anybody that reads my blog regularly that I love baked anything with cheese. Sometimes I feel sorry for those on a diet or who are looking for low fat dishes ... I often don't have those! However, if some kind of pasta bake with veggies in it is what you're looking for, I have the answer.
1 packet frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
2 -3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 package cheese ravioli (or whatever you desire)
1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup vegetable stock
1/4 cup skim milk
1/4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
salt and black pepper to taste
1 cup grated cheese
- Bring large stockpot of water to a boil.
- Steam broccoli for about 5 minutes until bright green and slightly tender.
- As water heats up to a boil, heat a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add olive oil and chopped garlic, and saute for about 1 minute.
- Next, add drained spinach to the pan, along with the steamed broccoli.
- Toss vegetable well with garlic oil to coat evenly.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, remove from the heat into a bowl, and set aside.
- For the sauce: In the same pan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour into the butter and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add stock, raise heat and bring mixture to a boil, whisking the entire time.
- Slowly whisk in milk and parmesan, and let mixture bubble for about 2 more minutes until thickened.
- Season sauce with nutmeg (if desired) and salt and pepper.
- For the pasta: When pasta water is boiling add salt, stir, and add ravioli.
- Cook according to package directions until slightly underdone.
- Place a thin layer of the white sauce in an oven proof casserole dish.
- Drain ravioli.
- Layer ½ of the ravioli in the baking dish.
- Next add ½ of the broccoli/spinach mixture Add a couple ladles of the sauce to cover this first layer, a little more than half of it.
- Add the rest of the vegetable mixture, then the remaining half of the ravioli.
- Spoon the remaining sauce over the top (a little less than half of it) and top with grated cheese of your choice.
- Place casserole dish under the broiler or in oven about 8 or so inches from the element.
- Broil about 5 minutes until cheese melts and is bubbly and starting to brown.
Original recipe here