Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Peach Jam


This year, I have decided to make all my christmas gifts - and it has been amazing. What you think would be extra effort and work actually isn't. Well, to me anyway. It's hot, I'm pregnant, I'm not excited about the hordes of shoppers, I hate the constant struggle over that "perfect present", and I'm spending more time at home lately so am kicking it old-school and putting that time to good use. This way everyone gets something they like to eat or use and I haven't spent a fortune on one of the tons of presents they're going to get that day anyway.

Besides, I get to keep one of just about everything.... a good trade off!

I love jam, it goes so well with toast, or crumpets, or scones or pikelets, or just about anything you can have with tea, which is obviously going to appeal to me! Jam seems so terribly British, and makes me think of the Famous Five eating huge slices of thick, freshly-made bread with churned butter and home made jam.

Jam is insanely easy to make. And tastes way better than the store-bought stuff, even the ones in fancy jars. Isn't that always the way?

And because I like to make things easy, I've made this out of canned peaches. But you don't have to.

Ingredients:
2 large tins canned peaches (should be equivalent to 1.5 kilos of fresh)
1.5 kilos warmed sugar
Juice from 1 lemon
50g packet Jamsetta

Directions:

1. Warm the sugar in a 160C oven for 6 minutes.

2. Drain the peaches and add to a huge pot - you want the whole mix to only occupy 1/3 of the pot.

3. Mash the peaches to as much of a goo as you can. Add the warmed sugar and Jamsetta and stir constantly over medium heat until dissolved.

4. Bring to a boil and boil vigorously 10 minutes. Have ready some saucers in the freezer. Place a level teaspoonful on a cold sauce and after 30 seconds, drag your finger through it. If it crinkles, it's ready to jar. If not, try again in three minutes with a new saucer.

5. Leave to cool 5-10 minutes, then spoon into warm, sterilised jars and seal straight away.


May the Famous Five be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment