Artichokes are delicious. There's just no two ways about it. I love them steamed, baked, boiled, canned, frozen, marinated - you name it, I'll eat it.
I made these braised babies recently for Veggie Husband's (and now Veggie Dad) birthday, atop a creamy slice of garlic potato gratin... yum! They absolutlely just melt in your mouth with their delicate flavour of garlic and thyme.
And best of all? it's super-easy.
one artichoke per person
1/2 cup vegetable stock (or white wine)
1/2 cup water
(if using homemade stock,just use 1 cup and leave out the water - it tends not to be as salty)
2 cloves garlic
3-4 sprigs of thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Spray the bottom of a baking tray with oil.
3. Cut off about the top inch or inch and a half of the artichoke. pull off the leaves of the first few outer layers, as they're really quite tough.
4. Cut the artichokes in half and scrape out the hairy/spiky bit just above the heart. This is inedible and is better to take out now.
5. Place cut side down on the tray, and add the rest of the ingredients. Cover with foil.
6. Bake for 30-45 minutes and get ready for a taste sensation.