Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Barbecue Burger

I think it was sometime in 1987 and I was reading a Babysitter's Club book when it hit me - I'd been born in the wrong country.

For a little girl in a little Australian town, these books filled with tales of cherry-flavored candy and Xerox machines and New York and Tootsie Rolls and Twinkies and grape juice sounded exactly like a glorious wonderland where I needed to be. It started a lifelong obsession love affair with all things red, white and blue. And nothing's changed.

I've always called my mother mom, spelled color without the "u" and preferred Dr Pepper to any other soda. Yes, soda. not soft drink. I may be insane (and don't hassle me about not loving my country, because I do), but it has definitely been the instigator of my deep and abiding adoration of American recipes.

And so, I have adopted all the American holidays as my own, as they're a great excuse to get stuck into some real down-home favourites. Which is why today I've made barbecue burgers for Memorial Day. I may not be American, I may not be in America, but darned if you're not gonna let me cook American!

This recipe is from the National Barbecue Association of America. They seem like they'd probably know what they're doing with a grill.


Easy three-cup barbecue sauce


Combine the following liquids:
1 cup water           
½ cup cider vinegar            
¼ cup canola oil            
¼ cup Worchester sauce           
¼ cup lemon juice            
1 tablespoon honey            
2 dashes of Tabasco Sauce
Add the following items:
1 onion, finely chopped            
4 cloves of minced garlic            
2 cups of ketchup            
1/3 cup of dark brown packed sugar (can substitute molasses)            
1 tablespoon of chili powder            
1 tablespoon of ground cumin            
Optional:  Chopped JalapeƱo pepper with seeds removed.
Directions:
1. Pour contents into sauce pan and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes until solution thickens (I boiled mine as I wanted it to be really rich and thick, enough to totally coat my burger).
            

2. Strain contents through fine mesh and adjust seasonings to taste: salt/pepper/etc. (didn't bother...)
            • 
3. Use immediately or refrigerate up to a week.

I soaked my veggie patty in the sauce for a little bit, before popping on a toasted bun. Too delicious!

4 comments: