I pretty much avoid fruit at all costs, but with the whole veggie baby thing in mind, it can’t be a bad thing if it makes more of an appearance in my diet. Which is why I try to hide it in things.
Makes 12 sugar-laden goodies! or 6 regular muffin-size ones.
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh, canned or frozen blueberries
Streusel topping (if you don’t mess it up like I did)
1. Heat oven to about 200C. Put muffin cups in each whole of two muffin trays, or you can grease them thoroughly… but who would want to wash them?
2. Make Streusel Topping, set aside.
3. Beat milk, oil and eggs in large bowl with whisk. Stir in flour, sugar and salt all at once until flour is moistened. The batter will be lumpy, and that’s cool. Just don’t over-mix.
4. Fold in blueberries, then divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon topping.
5. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. If baked in greased pans, let stand about 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
1/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons firm butter
Cut butter into ingredients, or rub in with your fingertips until it is crumbly.
Now if you’ve a serious butter addiction, like myself, you will put too much in and ruin the streusel. Instead of being a nice crumbly topping that bakes into a lovely crunch, mine was goo. brown, sugary goo.
Still tastes good, though.